Monday, October 15, 2007

Photo Plus Expo in NYC



New York is an amazing place; I could never live there, but I will say that Giuliani did a good job of cleaning it up. Although there are thousands of things to do there, my main purpose of going to New York was for the Photo Plus Expo. And I had miles.


The trade show is basically three days of geeking out with seminars, new products, and learning about all the new develpments in photography. I went to seminars and soaked up information from Denis Reggie, Bambi Cantrell, David Jay, Joe Buissink, and Kevin Kubota. Found a great company that can print coffee table books one at a time, and use those now for my wedding albums. Brides are flipping over them! Oh yeah, and my other purpose to come to New York, was a "What Not To Wear" style makeover as per my friend Shanti. So I also hit 5th ave, and dropped some coin on some threads.

After doing a quick switcheroo in the bathroom after the trade show friday (had an evening top and earings -thanks Shanti) went to the after parties and met great people, and hopped in a cab with them and ended up at the Digital Railroad party in Tribeca. Felt totally safe to leave whenever I wanted and walk to the subway. But those fancy heals don't last 15 hours! 


Love the subways! It's like a pinball machine. You go down, and you can pop up anywhere! Then go down, and pop up somewhere else again! And I love the street musicians! I saw everything from a 12- piece horn band, to a one-man show banging on plastic buckets.

After popping up in Central Park, I rented rollerblades and cruised around to all the above ground street musicians. Loved the jazz trio.


I even found myself singing (a talent usually reserved for strickly inside the comfort of my own shower) all these songs that came to mind like "On Broadway" "42nd Street", whenever the subway would come to, say, Broadway or 42nd Street.


Luckily the stage was saved for my friend Erin who performs her comedy cello act all around Manhattan. We saw her at the Bleeker St. Theater, and wow, can she sing! She's great and is definately going to be famous one day. Check her out at erinandhercello.com

A big thanks to friends Steve and Erica for letting me stay on their couch, in their very small apartment in South Chelsea. 

No comments: