Saturday, November 15, 2008

Waterfalls and river rafting


Somewhere betweeen the Amazon and the Andes is a little town called Banos. Yes, that means bathroom, but it also means baths, mineral baths, which this town has many of. Some frio, some caliente, and plenty of waterfalls, river rafting, bungee jumping, canyoneering, pizza and cappaccino, to keep all the gringos coming back for more. It kind of reminded me of Sun Valley, with all the Peter Pan guides and adventure brokers. Here's a panoramic from my little $7/night guesthouse with a rooftop cafe...

a cute town, really, and I could get stuck here if I wasn't running out of time.
A nun's voice and her electric guitar drew me into the church...

for $5 you can rent a mountain bike and spend a day on the Avenue of the Cascades, or waterfall highway

and for a $1 you can ride the telefrique.....








I didn't make it all the way to Puyo, cuz I kept on hanging out and taking dips in the pools...


I was seriously running out of money, but how can I not go river rafting? Thank god we had a rippin safety boater and a good top notch guide, cuz I wanted to go rafting, not swimming. Instead of white water rafting, it was more like black water rafting, as the recent rains brought out the mud and dirt in the river. "Careful not to open mouth while punching through waves", our guide warned us.

I've seen plenty of family plots, but never a plot for a group of professionals....?

for more pics of ecuador, click on thiakonig.com/ecuador


No comments: