Saturday, December 11, 2010

Lifestyle Family Portraits

What started out as an assignment on cabins for Habitat Magazine, turned into some great lifestyle family portraits. The mag definitely wanted people in the shots, and I took it even further along the lifestyle photography spectrum. I wanted to come and hang out, shoot the cabin in context of the people living their lives, in wonderful unrehearsed moments. These images I shot in a couple hours - imagine what I could do if I came to your cabin for a day, or better yet on your next family vacation! The coffee table book would be amazing. Because your life is beautiful......

I tried to take shots of the details with a sense of humor - and I love the random flip flop - it keeps it 'real'.  Sometimes I think the imperfections are what make life beautiful.


A 'table' outside by the firepit - I didn't clean it up because I like it the way it is....


The whole point of a cabin is not about cell coverage and bandwidth, but about a place to spend quality time with your family and loved ones. To be yourselves.






 
My neighbors leave every weekend, and I finally got to see why. Their cabin they built themselves is right on the river. What a perfect place- the boys can run around - safe - and be boys. Talk about off the grid - they only have electricity with a noisy generator - so it's nicer just to read with flashlights and camp cook outside. You have to plan ahead with a wood fired hot tub, but well worth it. I melted away at midnight with shooting stars everywhere.




I brought my VW van, so I could camp and not be too much trouble and catch some morning moments...




By spending this much time it's possible to get real, honest portraits. After they're done showing off, or being shy, I can capture their true personalities. I love it when the kids 'let me in', like Tyler here....

The third cabin, called Serenity, was out Trail Creek -and then some, literally in their own 'private Idaho'.







They have a guest cabin for their 'cabin', to make it easier for friends to join in.

Thank you to everybody that welcomed me into their home, fed me wonderful food cooked with love, and let me join in as friends to witness and record their lives!

No comments: