Thursday, March 20, 2008

maharajas and camel farts




I'm actually splurging and spending $10/night for a room in a castle/fort, with my own carved balcony complete with silk cushions, overlooking Jaisalmer, a city carved out of sandstone near the Pakistan border. I feel like a movie star walking through the town square, never have I been so popular. I end up getting 'stuck' in Jaisalmer, as I end up meeting Tanu, and together with his friends, we hang out many evenings on the roof of his upscale hotel with the lights of the city below, and order up room service and home cooked meals like we're rock stars. I'm treated like a queen, or king, I guess, because the maharajahs didn't treat their queens very good in the day.


Tanu

adventures with Cuba (Mr. Happy)
The local dialect amongst these desert people sounds very ancient, and I can't wrap my tongue around it. They would invent names up that we could pronounce, so I ended up meeting a lot of Mickey's and Lucky's, and I had to change my name to 'Dia' so they could pronounce my name.


I caught the neighbor girls playing dress up, until they saw me. Then they played dress up with me. They had to run next door to get a bigger dress, though. 



Matar was my fearless camel driver for 5 days. He would cook me chai and 3 hot meals a day, but by the end of day 3, I was wishing for anything, ANYTHING, cold. On day 2 we saw a black cobra, so I didn't sleep as good the following nights, just nestled between 2 blankets right on the sand. Here's a tip: try to be the lead camel so you don't have to smell camel farts.
Matar was Muslim, so he didn't drink, but every now and then I'd catch him chewing opium. 






for more pics of India click on thiakonig.com/india

No comments: